Nov 5, 2009

"Elevate" Design Process

Today, we look at a typical logo design process from start to finish. We will be examining the "Elevate" logo, which I've posted about previously.

For me, it's really a three-step process:
brianstorm/sketching > design concepts > complete design

Brainstorming/Sketching:
If I have a chance, I do some initial sketching. I love playing with letters - seeing how they fit together and how they completely change when you make the smallest alteration.
Here are my sketches (I apologize for the poor quality, just took this picture with my iSight). As you can see, I've circled a sketch that ended up being very similar to the final product:


















Concepts:
After brainstorming and sketching, I go to Photoshop. Photoshop is my playground - I definitely see it as a blank canvas. I like to think of Photoshop as the tool that I use to make what's in my head (which is alot) into a reality. This is when I really want to try to make the vision of the customer come alive in my design. At this point, I send some concepts and get feedback from the customer.
You already saw my concepts for the Elevate logo. Avant Garde is a great font to play around with, due to the fact that it is straight-laced.


Finals:
After receiving feedback, I make whatever changes need to be made, and finish the bad boy off.

Here is the final color logo:

















And here is the final black-and-white/one-color version:









Hope you can keep checking back - I've got plenty of new and exciting design on the docket, just waiting to elbow its way onto this-here blog.
_

1 comment:

anna said...

Liked how you showed the beginning to end! You are so talented! And I updated my blog, so GET OFF MY BACK!